This fun DIY checks off many boxes for me! Sensory and fine motor play for little hands, the smells of Christmas and it’s a fun and different gift idea. Store these in little jars and use a festive ribbon to attach a cookie cutter and you have a sweet, different gift that will entertain whoever receives it! Best part, it’s safe* for curious little mouths! Enjoy!
What you’ll need:
- 2tbs oil (we use coconut oil but vegetable oil or any other cooking oil will work)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-3tsp water
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 4tsp baking soda
- 3-4tbs flour
- 2 drops clove essential oil (or 1/4 tsp ground clove)
- 2 drops cinnamon bark essential oil (or 1/4tsp ground cinnamon)
- 2 drops ginger essential oil (or 2tsp ground ginger)
- 2 drops nutmeg essential oil (or 2tsp ground nutmeg)
- Combine all dry ingredients, except the flour. If using essential oils, add them to this dry mix and combine well.
- Add water, oil and molasses to your dry mixture and combine well.
- Add flour little by little until desired consistency is reached. Your dough should be smooth, slightly crumbly and not sticky.
- Place in airtight containers and have fun!
*Since this recipe calls for raw flour I recommend using caution and not allowing your children to eat this in large quantities. Spread your flour on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 25 minutes to remove any possible contaminants.